Thursday, May 21, 2009

Preschool

I'm sick. That's what I get for going back to work in a preschool. I was already sick enough...how is it a good idea to hang around those disease carrying plague rats we call children all day? Um..it's not. Oh well. Ladies and Gentleman, THIS is desperation. Nothing for it. I'm just a sad human being.
The funny thing is...I'm really good at my job. At least the parts about my job that are actually logical. Let me explain that a little...Career parents are insane..Career MOMS are insane...and I kind of despise them. They're selfish enough to put their career first and leave their child with strangers, but then they still have the gall to freak out if we don't do everything the same way they would...And I'm like, "dude...if you don't like it..stay home with your baby like moms do"...( Yes, I know it's just not in the cards for everyone...but the nice moms who are just trying to do the right thing don't freak out at me...so we're cool.:).....) anyway......As a result of these Crazy career moms and parents...and corporate being chock FULL of those career moms...there are a million different rules corporate mandates for how I have to do everything. Clean the perfectly clean chairs every picking day. Be on the level of the children, BUT don't sit down. Don't put anything on that shelf. No, you can't have lids on those bins. Call "time out" the euphemism "time away". Use this list of retarded freud-esque phrases when talking to the kids. etc. etc. etc.
Some of these things at least sort of make sense...most don't...and frankly, if corporate or the career moms had to do any of these things day in and day out...they wouldn't be mandated.
But anyhoo....the part of my job that actually pertains to being a good care-giver of children, relating to children, having fun with children. That, I'm really good at. All the other stuff just gets in the way of me doing my real job: taking care of the kids. I sing with them, I dance with them, I speak spanish to them, I run and jump with them, I swing on swings, I wipe noses, I lull them to sleep, I read books about ducks and frogs and fairies, I do puppet shows, I'm the pillar of strength that Jordan holds onto and hides behind. I'm Maya and Sophia's rocket ship, I'm the launderer of Micah's next bed-wetting episode....I do everything and then some. And it takes every ounce of energy I have every single day. Welcome to being a (replacement) mom. All the work....for someone elses babies...and I know some of those parents just don't care. Not about the work we do...and certainly not about their afformentioned babies. It breaks my heart. Some of those kids spend 12 1/2 hours in the place a day...even when their parents have the day off. ..And that just makes me sick. And I am sick, thanks to this job.
I can say this, though. I've learned a lot from this gig....Most notably: (Once I get my life together...get educated...get married and have babies of my own,)
I'm gonna be an awesome Mom.

5 comments:

Granny said...

I'm sorry you're sick Missy. Get better soon! And keep being a great "surrogate mom!"

Ben Pratt said...

I love this post. Keep rockin' it.

beckaboots said...

My job isn't quite the same but I do take care of my sister's kids (even though I especially work with grace for my job) and I do all of the same with them. You feel like you already know everything you need to be a mom and like you are all ready for it! I feel like I'm going to be awesome too....only I think I'm going to need a few months off when I'm ready to be a mom so that I can take a break from the other kids....before I have my own for the rest of my life! haha

Sarah said...

One of my good friends used to work at a daycare before she had kids, and that was the main reason that she and her hubby decided to do whatever it took to keep her at home with their own kids. Good for you for stepping up to the plate for these 'moms' who don't even know the meaning of the word. Even if you do get sick. :)

J+K said...

You are seriously going to be an AMAZING mom! You're much more patient with the kids than I was web I worked the daycare scene. Theystuck me with the 4 year olds because I could control them not because I could sympathize and play. Haha way to go Idaho! You're gonna be great! I can't wait to see the kind of kids you have!