Friday, May 22, 2009

LIST

I am a maker of lists. That has become exceedingly apparent in my recent boredom. Any spare moment turns into a list...and I happen to have a lot of surplus moments on my hands right now. Most days I sit in a dark room for up to two and a half hours a day while two-year-olds sleep.
There are a number of things I could be doing during that time. Riveting things like: Eat another leftover sandwich. Clean everything with bleach. Fix any number of child-destroyed objects. etc. Somehow...none of these catch my fancy. So...a trusted little notebook keeps me company. And I've been dutifully making lists.

Lists of everything.
Lists of classes
Lists of plans
Lists of dates to remember
Disappearing task lists (to do lists)
Lists of things I like
Lists of people
Lists of things I LIST...

You get the idea.
So, in the last week I've been back at work, I've made no less than 8-10 different combinations of classes I need to take to graduate two or three years in the theoretical future. I can't even count how many pathetic attempts I've made at disappearing task lists. Well...the thing about that is that the lists are fantastic and impeccable and detailed...but the tasks never disappear like they should.

Still, I list.

I think it's my attempt to feel like I'm getting things done when I have no way of actually doing those things at any time in the near future. By the time I get home I'm too exhausted to think about any tasks to make disappear...well...except eating, sleeping and sitting around (not necessarily in that order).
Truth be told, sometimes I write those down on my to do lists...just so I can have something to cross off.
*sigh*
I am a tired girl.

2 comments:

beckaboots said...

I am such a lister! I have a notebook and a planner that I make different lists in, depending on what kind of task. Some lists get crossed off, some don't. Don't despair- it's good to list and one day you will accomplish those things and cross them off!

J+K said...

I am SUCKER for lists! When I was in Utah, that's literally all I ever did! I love them! They keep me sane!